Monday, October 20, 2008

Grandma's embrace

We remodeled the house again starting this past spring.(again, I know) I'm still living with boxes in multiple rooms mostly because I have been wrestling with what to do with all of my grandmother(s)'s stuff that I have acquired. It's a love hate relationship with the stuff, I want it/love it because of the memories that I cherish when I use it. I hate it because some of it's not something that I would have chosen/purchased and the clutter is getting to me, there is just so much of it, but the idea of someone else(not in the family) having it kills me. Several of my family and friends have heard me debating what to do with the stuff over the past few months, its been driving me crazy. Today I was reading an article in "Real Simple" about this women and her Grandmothers stuff. In it she says "My Grandmother's dishes and silver provide at the very least a hint that the past is not a cold dead hand, but an affectionate embrace. Oh how I wish for an embrace, so I'll keep the stuff and embrace it with warm memories of my loving Grandmas. Hopefully that embrace will be passed on to some of my children too.

" When someone you loves becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure"

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

It's strange which things bring the best memories. Like the jar of Grandmas buttons on my shelf or Grandpa Marshall's water glasses. I use one everyday.